Sunday, February 19, 2017

My Best Christmas Present By: John E. Aibel


Welcome to My Lifelong Automotive Passion. I am John Aibel and this is where I will explore and share my passion, or, as some say, my obsession with the automobile. If you, too, share this passion/obsession or know someone who does, please share these writings with them! In the meantime...

We begin at the beginning!

I did not realize it at the time, but the book I received for Christmas 1952 was the best present I ever received from my family. Sports Cars of the World written by Ralph Stein and published by Charles Scribner’s Sons, New York, is the book that has meant so very much to me over years.
Here was a book that taught me what the meaning of a sports car was, the history of these cars, and the various countries and marques that built sports cars. 

Sports Cars of the World
By: Ralph Stein



To this day I use this source to refer to in my continuing study of automotive history. If you can, beg, borrow or steal, a copy of this book and you will understand the importance of this work.

For the sixty four years that I have owned this book it has become the one link to my youth. Under its hard cover, I have accumulated some interesting memorabilia. Just like people put important items in a Family Bible, I put them into this book.

Here is a list of the items I have saved in my book:

  1.  My Report Cards from Junior High
  2. An original sales brochure for a Cunningham Continental Coupe complete with specifications and options available
  3. Another original brochure for Allard cars showing drawings of the K.2, J.2 competition and Sports Saloon (Coupe in our English). This brochure includes the cost of these cars both ex works (out the door in England), and New York, as complete cars or less engine, or as a chassis only! A J2 Allard less engine was listed at a price of $2620.00 in New York. It is no wonder that these vehicles were so popular in this country!
  4.  An issue of Automobile Topics dated December 1952 that has a C-3 Cunningham on its cover. It is one of the cars I lust after to this day.
  5. A sales brochure for Model Toys. They built accurate toys of the then current construction and firefighting equipment. I bought myself one of these toys for the grand sum of $12.95 “Fair Trade Price”.
  6. The last item still with me is a letter from Stoeger Arms Corporation of New York concerning the purchase of my first real firearm. It was a Marlin 39-A in 22 caliper. I remember riding on the NYC subway system with that rifle in a case. Try that today!


This is where the story begins and there are so many stories to come. Stay tuned for more of my love affair with cars, Motorsports, and history!





The author John E. Aibel running his one-of-a-kind Crosley Le Mans car
 at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix circa 1990s.

1 comment:

  1. It's always good to read John's Blogs. I know where Candice's writing desires come from!

    ReplyDelete