Sunday, February 26, 2017

Pine Brook Speedway By: John E. Aibel

I wonder if the people walking through the Home Depot  in Pine Brook , New Jersey realize they are actually walking on the Pine Brook Speedway known as the Home of Champions?!  The 1/10 mile raceway opened in July of 1962  on the banks of the Passaic River. It lasted for about 25 years.



My brother Fred and I found this “bull ring” sometime in 1963. Fred had a brand new Chevrolet Impala convertible complete with a 283 engine and a floor-mounted four speed transmission.  

It was only a  matter of time before we took a ride in his new wheels. We headed west on Route 46 and were soon pulling into the parking lot  of this little race track. That Friday night was the first time in years that I attended a circular race track.

c. 1970 parade lap before an event
Pine Brook Speedway

The three quarter (TQ) midget race cars that raced there were miniature versions of Indianapolis race cars, and they could really put on a great, and exciting shows. The track was so small there was only one groove to follow.  This resulted in a lot of action as the faster cars had a very difficult time trying to pass the slow cars. 

It was not until the Mini Coopers brought out good ten inch tires that the TQ guys jumped on these rubbers. These tires provided the traction needed for the little racecars to pass on the outside of the slower competition. 

I witnessed many racecar improvements filtering down to the local racetracks.

My brother and I both bought our first homes in the same town that the Pine Brook Raceway was located. This enabled me to attend many of the Friday night races. I started to hang out in the pits where I met a lot of the racecar owners and drivers. 

At one point in the Pine Brook Speedway tenure I had acquired  the patterns for Crosley engine racing parts, and made up Cam covers, and side water jackets. I was able to have them cast up and sold them to the racers. Names like Nick Fornoro, Jack Bertling, and Tony Romit where just some of the local heroes.

c. 1972 Tony Romit being pushed off to compete
in a Friday Night race at
Pine Brook Speedway


One evening I brought my restored Crosley Super Sport to Pine Brook Speedway in hopes of driving it on the track. No luck, they would not allow it on the track. 

A couple of years later Fred and I bought a Ford Model T board track race car that had raced at the Altoona Board Track. This car they did allow to slowly tour the track. That was a first for me to drive on an oval track!

Unfortunately, as land values increased this little race track was closed down. 

Before the track was destroyed I had an opportunity to drive on the asphalt. I had been lucky to purchase a very special Crosley race car. This car raced in the 1951 LeMans 24 hour race. I had it in a repair shop where a new engine was being installed. A young man saw the car. He was making a movie and this was the car he wanted as its co-star. He somehow got permission to use the defunct Pine Brook Speedway.

The movie crew set about making the Crosley look like an old Ferrari, and me like a racecar driver! 

Make-up! 

I drove around and around the Pine Brook track for what seemed to be an hour. They shot film and recorded the engine sound. 

It all came to a screeching stop when the land developers showed up. I guess the movie maker never did get permission to use the track!

That ended my very limited oval track racing career.

Pine Brook Speedway existed from 1962 - 1988. In 1989 it was torn down. 




No comments:

Post a Comment